McClung Warehouses

McClung Warehouses
4:11 pm
Fri October 25, 2013

Ruling Clears Way For Knoxville’s Purchase Of McClung Warehouses

Credit Knox Heritage

In 1893, prominent Knoxville businessman Calvin McClung built the first of five warehouses on Jackson Avenue to serve as the shipping headquarters for his family’s mail-order business.  For most of the 20th century, those warehouses lined the northern boundary of what’s now known as the Old City, standing watch as Knoxville stretched out and expanded below them. 

Now, only two of the giant, run-down buildings remain, serving as a visible reminder of the city’s industrial past and a crumbling symbol of its on-going fight to contain and control blight. 

Read more