Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Iran Expert Sees Little Change In Tensions Between Washington and Tehran
- Well-known Knoxville Attorney Arrested On Drug Charges
- UT Percussion Studies and Nief-Norf to host Pulitzer-Prize winning composer, John Luther Adams
- There's A 'Blood Moon' Eclipse Tonight, But Will You Be Able To See It?
- Dialogue: Social Media, Your Job & You
Last Night of the 2013 BBC Proms on WUOT
Join us as Marin Alsop becomes the first female conductor of the Last Night of the Proms. Mezzo-soprano Joyce DiDonato and violinist Nigel Kennedy will also join the BBC Symphony Orchestra and BBC Symphony Chorus in a concert that runs from Rossini and Handel arias to a mass sing-along.
This year's program includes a rare performance of Britten's 1967 overture for chorus and orchestra, The Building of the House; also featured are Vaughan Williams' The Lark Ascending; a touch of Broadway magic and sea-faring themes with a trans-Atlantic flavour from Bantock and George Lloyd. More familiar homegrown music brings down the curtain in time-honoured fashion.