Most Active Stories
- Well-known Knoxville Attorney Arrested On Drug Charges
- UT Percussion Studies and Nief-Norf to host Pulitzer-Prize winning composer, John Luther Adams
- Iran Expert Sees Little Change In Tensions Between Washington and Tehran
- There's A 'Blood Moon' Eclipse Tonight, But Will You Be Able To See It?
- State Looking Into Limited Privatization Of Some State Parks
It's All Politics
Fri September 13, 2013
Vote For The Creature From The Black Lagoon
Originally published on Fri September 13, 2013 9:36 pm
How do you break out of the pack if you're in a mayoral race with dozens of other candidates?
Maybe you need to do something dramatic and perhaps even a little weird. Something that gets people talking. Maybe you make a campaign ad like the one from Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party candidate Jeffrey Alan Wagner, who's running in Minneapolis.
In his ad, Wagner emerges from a lake like the Creature from the Black Lagoon to deliver a somewhat unusual argument for his candidacy: He wants clean government and promises to avoid strip clubs. [Warning: Video contains bleeped profanity.]
Maybe striding out of the lake was meant to show he's a real product of Minnesota, the Land of 10,000 Lakes. But it probably would be a mistake to overthink this.