Most Active Stories
- Well-known Knoxville Attorney Arrested On Drug Charges
- UT Percussion Studies and Nief-Norf to host Pulitzer-Prize winning composer, John Luther Adams
- There's A 'Blood Moon' Eclipse Tonight, But Will You Be Able To See It?
- Iran Expert Sees Little Change In Tensions Between Washington and Tehran
- State Looking Into Limited Privatization Of Some State Parks
U.S. Civil War
Fri October 18, 2013
The U.S. Civil War’s "Contraband'’ Camps
President Abraham Lincoln and the Emancipation Proclamation.
But Taylor argues that emancipation was a process, and part of that process was the settlement of slave refugees behind the military lines of the Union army, in what were called “contraband camps”.
WUOT's Chrissy Keuper spoke with Taylor about these settlements...