Most Active Stories
- Iran Expert Sees Little Change In Tensions Between Washington and Tehran
- Well-known Knoxville Attorney Arrested On Drug Charges
- UT Percussion Studies and Nief-Norf to host Pulitzer-Prize winning composer, John Luther Adams
- There's A 'Blood Moon' Eclipse Tonight, But Will You Be Able To See It?
- Dialogue: Social Media, Your Job & You
East TN Environmental Lawsuit
Fri May 17, 2013
Two East Tennessee Mines Subject of Environmental Lawsuit
An alliance of environmental groups says the federal government violated the Endangered Species Act in granting mining permits at two East Tennessee mines. The lawsuit claims the Office of Surface Mining and the US Fish and Wildlife Service did not consult the most current scientific research in considering the impact of surface mines at Zeb Mountain and David Creek on fish. The suit claims dissolved minerals in wastewater are increasing salt in streams to unendurable levels, threatening the endangered blackside dace and Cumberland darter.