Most Active Stories
- Well-known Knoxville Attorney Arrested On Drug Charges
- There's A 'Blood Moon' Eclipse Tonight, But Will You Be Able To See It?
- Dialogue: The Latest Data On Homelessness In Knoxville-Knox County
- One Year On, Still Unanswered Questions In Pilot Probe
- When Parents Are The Ones Too Distracted By Devices
Wed November 28, 2012
Tennessee Tragedies: An interview with Allen Coggins
Nearly thirty years ago, Allen Coggins got a request from the director of the Tennessee Emergency Management Agency. He was told to compile a list of disasters that have affected the state since its creation. What neither Coggins nor the director knew was that the simple request would become a 27-year odyssey through dusty newspaper archives, libraries and eyewitness reports. The result is Coggins' book Tennessee Tragedies: Natural, Technological and Societal Disasters in the Volunteer State. On November 28, 2012 Allen Coggins spoke with WUOT's All Things Considered host Brandon Hollingsworth about Tennessee's disaster history and how the state addresses emergenices in the present age.