Most Active Stories
- Well-known Knoxville Attorney Arrested On Drug Charges
- UT Percussion Studies and Nief-Norf to host Pulitzer-Prize winning composer, John Luther Adams
- There's A 'Blood Moon' Eclipse Tonight, But Will You Be Able To See It?
- Iran Expert Sees Little Change In Tensions Between Washington and Tehran
- State Looking Into Limited Privatization Of Some State Parks
Wed July 17, 2013
Tennessee Lottery Proceeds Set Another Record
Officials with the Tennessee lottery say proceeds for the fiscal year just ended are almost 5% higher than the previous year.
The Tennessee Education Lottery Corporation reports proceeds of $339.7 million. That’s another yearly record for the state’s lottery, and is up from last year's $323.4 million.
It also means over $16 million more this year for education-related funding in the state. Since the lottery began in January 2004, more than $2.73 billion has funded more than 700,000 grants or scholarships to in-state education institutions. That includes more than 100,000 awards in the last academic year.
The lottery also funds after-school programs and initiatives to make schools more energy efficient.