Most Active Stories
- Well-known Knoxville Attorney Arrested On Drug Charges
- There's A 'Blood Moon' Eclipse Tonight, But Will You Be Able To See It?
- Dialogue: The Latest Data On Homelessness In Knoxville-Knox County
- One Year On, Still Unanswered Questions In Pilot Probe
- When Parents Are The Ones Too Distracted By Devices
TN Correction & Health Care
Tue July 16, 2013
Tennessee Legislative Committee Looking Into New Inmate Health Care Contract
A watchdog group for the state legislature has agreed to investigate a Tennessee Department of Correction contract over inmate health care.
Lawmakers are questioning the bid process, saying Centurion LLC was only recently created and lacks experience. The company is a joint venture of MHM Services Incorporated, specializing in inmate mental health care, and Centene Corporation, specializing in managed care.
Legislators also question Centurion’s proposal for the more-than-$200 million contract with the state, which was $6.4 million higher than current contract holder, Corizon.
Officials with Centurion LLC have been asked to appear before the Fiscal Review Committee in September.