Most Active Stories
- Well-known Knoxville Attorney Arrested On Drug Charges
- UT Percussion Studies and Nief-Norf to host Pulitzer-Prize winning composer, John Luther Adams
- There's A 'Blood Moon' Eclipse Tonight, But Will You Be Able To See It?
- Iran Expert Sees Little Change In Tensions Between Washington and Tehran
- State Looking Into Limited Privatization Of Some State Parks
TN Archaeology: Prehistoric Cave Art
Fri July 26, 2013
Tennessee Cave Art Charts Cosmology Of Prehistoric Peoples
Archaeologists, starting with Charles Faulkner from the University of Tennessee, have been documenting prehistoric rock art in Tennessee and around the Southeastern US since the1970s.
Jan Simek, Distinguished Professor of Anthropology at the University of Tennessee, is now continuing that work. He says the rock art found in the dark zones of some Tennessee caves is among the continent’s earliest art. Simek also says it reveals aspects of the cosmological beliefs of the prehistoric people who made this art…