Most Active Stories
- The Method: What's Up On Pluto; Checking Up On Waterway Health
- Tennessee GOP's New Leader Hopes to Capitalize on Recent Gains
- Civil War Conference Highlights Tennessee's Difficult Transition To Post-war Peace
- Interview: Wilma Dunaway On The History Of Appalachia And Capitalism
- Ellen, Helen And The Origin Of The Love Kitchen
Around the Nation
Tue November 5, 2013
Pot And Beer On State Ballots This Election Day
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
Good morning, I'm Steve Inskeep.
This Election Day is a moment of reckoning for controlled substances. Having legalized marijuana, Colorado votes whether to impose a 25 percent tax. For a while there opponents were building support by handing out free joints. Portland, Maine will decide whether to legalize pot. And Hyde Park, Utah votes on a different substance. Nationwide Prohibition ended in the '30s but remains in Hyde Park, which is deciding whether to allow beer.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.