Most Active Stories
- Well-known Knoxville Attorney Arrested On Drug Charges
- There's A 'Blood Moon' Eclipse Tonight, But Will You Be Able To See It?
- UT Percussion Studies and Nief-Norf to host Pulitzer-Prize winning composer, John Luther Adams
- State Looking Into Limited Privatization Of Some State Parks
- One Year On, Still Unanswered Questions In Pilot Probe
The Island Pigeon Forge
Mon May 27, 2013
Pigeon Forge Attraction Nears Completion Almost A Decade After Construction Began
An opening day's getting closer for a Sevier County attraction almost a decade after construction first began.
The Pigeon Forge attraction “The Island” is scheduled to open in mid-June.
“The Island” was originally “Belle Island” back in 2003. That attraction got as far as holding job fairs for potential employees - then its backers ran into financial trouble.
The development, then 80% complete, sold in foreclosure for $23.9 million in 2009; it sat vacant until 2011 when it was sold as part of a city deal that would also create an events center.
Now signs are going up on the Pigeon Forge parkway, a 200-foot Ferris wheel attraction’s been through safety testing, and businesses and restaurants are hiring again.