Most Active Stories
- Well-known Knoxville Attorney Arrested On Drug Charges
- There's A 'Blood Moon' Eclipse Tonight, But Will You Be Able To See It?
- UT Percussion Studies and Nief-Norf to host Pulitzer-Prize winning composer, John Luther Adams
- State Looking Into Limited Privatization Of Some State Parks
- One Year On, Still Unanswered Questions In Pilot Probe
Mon December 30, 2013
ORNL Employees Preparing To Leave Lab At Year’s End
For some employees of the Oak Ridge National Laboratory, these last few days of December are bittersweet. As of January 1, they’ll no longer be employed at the lab.
Those workers are among the 189 who received approval to accept a voluntary severance offer from UT Battelle, the contractor that manages the lab for the Department of Energy. The package was offered in October in an effort to trim up to 475 jobs. As reported in the Knoxville News Sentinel, Lab Director Thom Mason told employees the severance package was one of several initiatives to trim costs over the next few years. “We don’t know exactly what the budget picture will look like, how much we will receive, or exactly which programs will expand or contract,” he said in a message to employees. “Fiscal prudence requires us to prepare for smaller budgets in years to come.”
ORNL officials tell WUOT News approximately 25% of those employees opting to take the buy-out are researchers; the other 75% are considered support staff.
Salaried employees at the lab will receive a week’s pay for every year at the lab, up to 25 years. Union employees were offered the severance packages defined in their contracts.