Most Active Stories
- The Threepenny Opera: A Modern Take On Longstanding Problems
- Local Filmmakers Score A Quiet Hit
- The Oak Ridge Symphony presents a concert of "International Flavors"
- Dialogue: Energy Consumption And Sustainability In Knoxville
- The Method: Joe Palca Talks Science Reporting; A Candidate For State Microbe
Next Wave- Brown
Thu May 9, 2013
Madeline Brown- Circus Class
The Knox County Commission recently approved a $7 million increase in funding for the county school system. Some of that money is earmarked for a program known as the Community Schools Initiative. This collaboration between the county, the University of Tennessee and the United Way attempts to provide poorer schools with a variety of services and techniques to help disadvantaged students learn basic skills. In this Next Wave Radio Project report, WUOT’s Madeline Brown found a Community Schools Initiative class that manages to combine math, physics, reading and the allure of the Big Top.