Most Active Stories
- The Method: What's Up On Pluto; Checking Up On Waterway Health
- Civil War Conference Highlights Tennessee's Difficult Transition To Post-war Peace
- Interview: Wilma Dunaway On The History Of Appalachia And Capitalism
- Ellen, Helen And The Origin Of The Love Kitchen
- Knoxville Opera presents Verdi's "Il Trovatore"
Next Wave- Willis
Thu May 9, 2013
Kelsey Willis- Ginseng dealer calls it a career
Ginseng root has long been used in folk medicine in the United States and Asia. But now, it's big business, appearing in pills, energy drinks and even cosmetics. The manufacturers of these products buy ginseng from a seller. The seller buys it from a network of buyers. And those buyers purchase it from those who dig it out of the ground. So before all the glitzy packaging and promises, the main ingredient in your energy drink may have started in North Springs, Tennessee with Ward Kemp. As part of WUOT's Next Wave Radio Project, Kelsey Willis reports on how a scraggly root became the centerpiece of her grandfather's career.