Most Active Stories
- Well-known Knoxville Attorney Arrested On Drug Charges
- There's A 'Blood Moon' Eclipse Tonight, But Will You Be Able To See It?
- Dialogue: The Latest Data On Homelessness In Knoxville-Knox County
- One Year On, Still Unanswered Questions In Pilot Probe
- When Parents Are The Ones Too Distracted By Devices
Next Wave- Schuster
Thu May 9, 2013
Kathleen Schuster- Bilingual Hands
Learning English to get by is challenging for many adult immigrants. At least at home, they can use whatever language they want to---that is, unless their kids refuse to speak anything but English. Many immigrant families deal with this language-problem daily and find a compromise. But what if they have child who is deaf or has hearing loss? As part of WUOT’s Next Wave Radio Project, Kathleen Schuster reports on how one local Hispanic family has balanced not two, but three languages.