Most Active Stories
- Well-known Knoxville Attorney Arrested On Drug Charges
- There's A 'Blood Moon' Eclipse Tonight, But Will You Be Able To See It?
- Dialogue: The Latest Data On Homelessness In Knoxville-Knox County
- One Year On, Still Unanswered Questions In Pilot Probe
- State Looking Into Limited Privatization Of Some State Parks
Thu April 18, 2013
Jobless Claims Rose Slightly Last Week
There were 352,000 first-time claims for unemployment insurance last week, up by 4,000 from the week before, the Employment and Training Administration reports.
The "4-week moving average" that gauges the trend rose by 2,750, to 361,250.
Bloomberg News characterizes the news this way: "The number of Americans filing claims for unemployment benefits was little changed last week, signaling the labor market is stabilizing." Reuters says the report "could further allay fears of a major setback in the labor market recovery."