Most Active Stories
- Well-known Knoxville Attorney Arrested On Drug Charges
- There's A 'Blood Moon' Eclipse Tonight, But Will You Be Able To See It?
- Dialogue: The Latest Data On Homelessness In Knoxville-Knox County
- One Year On, Still Unanswered Questions In Pilot Probe
- When Parents Are The Ones Too Distracted By Devices
Mon May 13, 2013
Jim James On World Cafe
Originally published on Thu January 2, 2014 3:45 pm
There have been releases under the name Yim Yames and projects with New Multitudes and Monsters of Folk, but Regions of Light and Sound of God is the first album bearing Jim James' own name. The My Morning Jacket singer has made a thoughtful and romantic album for his first Jim James solo work.
In a fascinating conversation with World Cafe, James discusses how the themes of the early graphic novel God's Man paralleled his life after a stage accident in 2008 left him bedridden; the experience helped inspire songs on the new album. He also discusses his religious views and tells the story behind Regions of Light and Sound of God's title.
James put together a stellar band to play songs from the album, which is influenced by 1970s R&B; together, they perform several tracks here.
This segment originally aired on April 5th, 2013.