Most Active Stories
- Well-known Knoxville Attorney Arrested On Drug Charges
- There's A 'Blood Moon' Eclipse Tonight, But Will You Be Able To See It?
- Dialogue: The Latest Data On Homelessness In Knoxville-Knox County
- One Year On, Still Unanswered Questions In Pilot Probe
- When Parents Are The Ones Too Distracted By Devices
GSMNP May 2013
Wed June 19, 2013
Great Smoky Mountains National Park Sets Record For May Visits
Officials with the National Park Service say the Great Smoky Mountains National Park set a record for visitors in May. The Park had nearly 886,000 visitors in May of 2013. It’s the largest number of visitors to the park ever for the month of May and it’s up by more than 10% from May of 2012.
In the first five months of 2013, however, visitation is down by 5.5% from the five-year average. So far this year, the park has recorded just over 2,506,000 visitors… about 273,000 fewer than the same period in 2012.