Most Active Stories
Thu May 15, 2014
Fort Sanders Once Again Tops Endangered Properties List
The Knoxville preservation group Knox Heritage has once again placed the Fort Sanders Neighborhood at the top of its annual list of endangered historic properties. The Fragile Fifteen list released today highlights several Fort Sanders homes and the former IGA grocery store on 18th Street, all of which could be demolished to make way for expansion projects at the University of Tennessee and Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center.
The neighborhood, located just north of UT’s campus, also topped the 2013 list.
Absent from this year’s list was the McClung Warehouses, a consistent presence on the list since Knox Heritage began publishing it in 1998. After years of neglect, legal battles between the city and the owner and two major fires, the remaining structures were torn down earlier this year.
However, Knox Heritage officials were also eager to show some progress from the past year. Thursday’s announcement was held at the site of Oakwood Elementary School in North Knoxville. Built in 1914, the school was closed in 1995 and suffered several years of neglect and deterioration. As a result, it landed on Knox Heritage’s Fragile Fifteen list every year between 2004 and 2012. However, local developer Rick Dover of Family Pride Corporation purchased the property in 2013 and is currently converting it to a senior living facility. Dover tells WUOT News he believes the facility will open to residents in September or October of this year.
Here is Knox Heritage’s Fragile Fifteen List for 2014:
1) Historic Fort Sanders Neighborhood
-Fort Sanders Houses & Grocery- 307 18th St., 1802, 1804 & 1810 Highland Ave.
-White Avenue Houses- 1302, 1308 & 1312 White Ave.
-The Pickle Mansion- 1633 Clinch Ave.
2) The Eugenia Williams House- 4848 Lyons View Pike
3) Tennessee Supreme Court Building- 617 Cumberland Ave.
4) Isaac Anderson Cabin- Creekrock Lane, Shannondale Valley Farms
5) Pryor Brown Garage- 314 & 322 W. Church Ave.
6) French Broad River Corridor
7) The Legg- England House- 8010 Rutledge Pike
8) Kern's Bakery Building- 2110 Chapman Highway
9) Standard Knitting Mill- 1400 Washington Ave.
10) University of Tennessee- Knoxville Campus
-Melrose Hall- 1616 Melrose Ave.
-Estabrook Hall- 1012 Estabrook Rd.
11) Magnolia Avenue Corridor
-Magnolia Avenue United Methodist Church- 2700 E. Magnolia Ave.
-Rabbit and Poultry Barn- Chilhowee Park- 3301 E. Magnolia Ave.
12) Historic School Buildings
-South High School- 801 Tipton Ave.
-Rule High School- 1901 Vermont Ave.
-Giffin School- 1834 Beech St.
13) Knoxville College Historic District
-Giffen Memorial Gymnasium
14) The H.E. Christenberry House- 3222 Kingston Pike
15) The Lloyd Branson House- 1423 Branson Ave.
Fort Sanders homes