Most Active Stories
- Well-known Knoxville Attorney Arrested On Drug Charges
- There's A 'Blood Moon' Eclipse Tonight, But Will You Be Able To See It?
- Dialogue: The Latest Data On Homelessness In Knoxville-Knox County
- One Year On, Still Unanswered Questions In Pilot Probe
- When Parents Are The Ones Too Distracted By Devices
Wed April 24, 2013
Another Boston Bombing Mystery: Who Is @Al_FirdausiA?
Originally published on Wed April 24, 2013 8:31 pm
(Andy Carvin, NPR's senior strategist for social media, sends us this dispatch about a Twitter account that may hold clues in understanding the surviving Boston bombing suspect.)
Social media became a large part of the story last week as amateur sleuths scoured the Internet for clues about the Boston Marathon bombing suspects. After several fake Twitter accounts supposedly connected with the suspects were discounted, NPR and other news organizations identified one account, @J_tsar, as being connected with the surviving bombing suspect, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. He followed less than 100 people on Twitter, and one of the most recent accounts he followed is one called @Al_FirdausiA. In fact, Tsarnaev was the first to follow that account, which in the Twitter world usually signals a strong personal connection. Using a Storify, we detailed the connections and possible significance of the account: