Most Active Stories
- Well-known Knoxville Attorney Arrested On Drug Charges
- There's A 'Blood Moon' Eclipse Tonight, But Will You Be Able To See It?
- Dialogue: The Latest Data On Homelessness In Knoxville-Knox County
- One Year On, Still Unanswered Questions In Pilot Probe
- When Parents Are The Ones Too Distracted By Devices
While growing up in Pontiac, Mich. (the hometown of the Jones brothers—Thad, Hank and Elvin), just north of Detroit, John spent a lot of time listening to great R&B, soul, rock and jazz music on local radio. In the late ‘80s, while a doctoral student at UT and still a lover of music and of local radio, he leapt at the opportunity to become a jazz host at WUOT. For the last 20 years he has been a member of the faculty of the Department of Psychology at Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, N.C. Since he lives and works in Western North Carolina during the week (and commutes to Knoxville on weekends, holidays and semester breaks), he rarely has the opportunity to broadcast live on Monday’s Improvisations. Trying to keep up with the music scene, thinking about his shows and spending few hours in the production studio at WUOT every weekend have been important parts of his life for over 25 years.