Most Active Stories
- Iran Expert Sees Little Change In Tensions Between Washington and Tehran
- Well-known Knoxville Attorney Arrested On Drug Charges
- UT Percussion Studies and Nief-Norf to host Pulitzer-Prize winning composer, John Luther Adams
- There's A 'Blood Moon' Eclipse Tonight, But Will You Be Able To See It?
- State Looking Into Limited Privatization Of Some State Parks
While growing up in Pontiac, Mich. (the hometown of the Jones brothers—Thad, Hank and Elvin), just north of Detroit, John spent a lot of time listening to great R&B, soul, rock and jazz music on local radio. In the late ‘80s, while a doctoral student at UT and still a lover of music and of local radio, he leapt at the opportunity to become a jazz host at WUOT. For the last 20 years he has been a member of the faculty of the Department of Psychology at Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, N.C. Since he lives and works in Western North Carolina during the week (and commutes to Knoxville on weekends, holidays and semester breaks), he rarely has the opportunity to broadcast live on Monday’s Improvisations. Trying to keep up with the music scene, thinking about his shows and spending few hours in the production studio at WUOT every weekend have been important parts of his life for over 25 years.